January 22, 2008

Wonderful Light Mac&Cheese

I love Mac & Cheese - not from the box, but good Mac & Cheese.

However, I'm always watching what I eat and don't like all of the fat and cholesterol that is abundent in the common recipes.

I found this one on the WW site and it was out of this world. I'm having the last bits for lunch today.

I made a few modifications - instead of just bread crumbs and parmesan on top, I also used 2 T of Panko and 2 T of Wheat Germ for added crunch. I also used Rotini instead of elbows because it's what i had on hand.


1 pound uncooked macaroni, elbow-variety, regular or whole wheat
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
12 oz fat-free evaporated milk
2 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese, sharp-variety
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
1/4 tsp table salt
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
2 Tbsp seasoned bread crumbs
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese


Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Cook pasta according to package directions (without added salt or fat). Drain and transfer to a large bowl. While pasta is still hot, stir in sour cream; set aside.
Scald evaporated milk by heating it in a small saucepan over medium heat until tiny bubbles just appear around the edges, about 3 minutes. Remove milk from heat and add cheddar cheese, mustard, pepper, salt and nutmeg to pan; stir until cheese melts.
Fold cheese mixture into pasta and transfer mixture to a 4-quart casserole dish. Combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese and sprinkle bread crumb mixture over pasta mixture.
Bake until top is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Yields about 1 1/4 cups per serving and is 7 points per serving. Worth every bite!

1 comment:

Kate said...

That sounds super good. I'll have to try it soon.