March 18, 2008

Gimmie a R-U-B-E-N




Last night I decided to try - gast - a recipe from Rachel Ray. I know, I know, I hate Ray Ray. But sometimes she makes something that strikes my fancy. I just have to figure out how to lighten it up and remove the excessive amounts of EVOO (UGH! Just call it Olive Oil already!!!)

I saw a recipe the other week on her site for a Ruben Pizza.

Now I love a good ruben sandwhich - I mean LOVE!!! What's better that soft bread, good corned beef, "special sauce", and sauerkraut! Nothing I tell you, nothing!

So I told Adam I was making this and his words were

"I hate swiss cheese, don't like thousand island dressing and hate sauerkraut. I'm sure I'll love it."

Well after making the pizza last night, and then taking a bite - WOW was all he could say - that was really incredibly good. So good infact we ate 4 pieces each!

And it wasn't until dinner last night that Adam realized that "Special Sauce" at McDonald's is really nothing more than thousand island dressing.

Super easy recipe, super tasty, and a great way to use up leftover corned beef.


I made a few alterations from her recipe - I didn't make mine stuffed but thin crust. Other than that it was the same.


Ruben Pizza
1 Pizza Crust - rolled out thing
Corned Beef - either from the deli counter or from a roast. I used about 4 good slices from the lefotver roast and diced it up. From the deli, probably 1/2 to 3/4 lb. would be good.
Shredded Swiss Cheese
Sauerkraut (I bought it in the can, drained and rinsed it well and then squeezed out the liquid)
Thousand Island Dressing (I made my own with 2 T lite mayo, 2 T katchup, and 2 T pickle Relish and 1 tsp. sugar)

Place toppings on pizza crust and bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes. Cut and serve. Drizzle thousand island dressing over the top of the pizza once it is out of the oven.

This was heavenly and a make again!

May try it next time as a philly cheesesteak pizza!

No comments: