May 12, 2008

Bread I can eat!

Ever since we found out I have a severe allergy to yeast, it's been difficult finding things to substitute breads with - I'm down with the wraps and pitas and tortillas for lunches. I do miss a good hunk of sourdough or french bread - desperately miss! I don't miss basic sliced bagged sandwhich bread at all. Ok that's a lie - sometimes I miss white bread toasted with nice melty butter.

Since that is what I was missing - and I always used to eat toast with breakfast - I decided I needed to find some bread alternatives.

I found this recipe on Serious Eats - I love that site!

Very easy to make and REALLY delicious.

Do use butter and flour instead of spray - it helps the loaf stay even and keeps the sides from falling down the pan. I added nuts in to the dough recipe as well.

This is great toasted with a little butter - very tasty.

It's a dense yet light fluffy bread.

Oatmeal Breakfast Bread
Doesn't require kneading, but provides lots of opportunities for kids to mix ingredients by hand and stir the batter.
- serves 12 - Adapted from Baking: From My Home to Yours, by Dorie Greenspan.

Ingredients
For the topping:
1/4 cup (packed) light brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

For the bread:
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup flavorless oil, such as canola or safflower
1/4 cup buttermilk or whole milk (I used 1%)
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Pinch of ground cloves
1/2 cup diced dried figs, apples, or apricots or moist, plump raisins (dark or golden) (I used dried cherries, cranberries and blueberries and diced pecans)
1 cup old-fashioned oats

Procedure

1. Center a rack in oven; preheat to 350°F. Butter 9-by-5-inch loaf pan, dust with flour, and tap out excess. Put pan on a baking sheet.

2. Make the topping: In a small bowl, use your fingers to toss together the sugar, nuts, and cinnamon until evenly mix. Set aside.

3. Make the bread: Whisk together the eggs, applesauce, oil, and buttermilk until well blended.

4. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cloves. Remove 1/2 teaspoon of mix; toss it with the fruit to coat. Set aside. Stir the oats into the bowl. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry, and, using a large rubber spatula, stir just until everything is evenly moistened. Don't overdo the mixing. Scatter the dried fruit over batter and stir it to blend. Scrape batter into pan; sprinkle over topping, tamping it down lightly with fingers so it sticks.

5. Bake 55 to 65 minutes, or until the bread is browned and a thin knife inserted into center comes out clean. Transfer bread to a cooling rack for about 5 minutes. Run a knife around the sides of pan and unmold. Invert and cool to room temperature right side up.

1 comment:

Abby said...

What a difficult thing to live with - although it seems more common these days and so many bloggers are dealing with it - and cooking besides!