June 15, 2008

Bacon and Onion and Potato, Oh My!

With the cost of everything right now, we've been trying really hard to make meals out of what is on our endless supply of meats and goodies in the chest freezer in the basement.


The other night we made Pierogies. Now we love Pierogies, but I always like to try new things with them to mix it up a bit.


This was a really good and tasty recipe but I varied it a bit - since I didn't want to turn the oven on in 80 degree heat.


From the Mrs. T's website


Crispy Pierogies with Onion and Bacon Chutney

2 boxes of Pierogies (I used 1)

1 T vegetable Oil

1 T fresh thyme or 1 tsp. dried thyme

1 tps. salt

1 tsp. pepper

6 slices bacon diced (I used 4)

1 large sweet onion sliced, about 4 cups

2 tsp garlic

3 T red wine vinegar (I used 1 1/2)

1 T sugar (I used 1/2)


Preheat oven to 400

toss pierogies with oil, thyme, salt and pepper to coat. Spray a pan with cooking spray and arrange pierogies on pan. Bake until golden and the edges are crispy - about 20 minutes.

(I didn't do any of this tep, I just boiled them in water on the stove. I added the seasonings to the onion mixture)


Meanwhile, prepare onion and bacon chutney. In a large skillet cook bacon until crisp and drain all but 1 T of the fat. Add onion and saute until golden and soft. Sitr in garlic and cook for one minute. Add vinegar and sugar. When sugar is dissolved, remove and pour mixture in bowl to keep warm. When pierogies are cooked, arrange on platter and serve with chutney.


I did the bacon in a skillet and the onion in another skillet. I then blanced green beans and then put them in the pan with the bacon to sautee untill tender and browned.


Delicious dinner, a certain make again!

No comments: