August 3, 2008

This meal screams summer

When I was searching for meals this week - I choose the Whole Foods web site. Usually as I menu plan each week I go with one area, cookbooks at home, friend's recipes, recipes saved on the computer or web recipes.

I came across this recipe and it just screamed HELLO COOK ME NOW!!!

It wasn't on the menu for last night, but we spent a chunk of the late afternoon both napping on the couches so there was no time to bake the salmon quiche. So instead we made this pasta since it was quick and easy.

And wow was it ever quick and easy and oh my god delicious. The whole time we ate we kept saying, this is it, we have to make it again, this is the new pasta staple in our household - at least for the summer when basil is of abundance in our garden.


Pasta with Lemon, Olives and Basil

1 Pound Pasta, penne, farfalle or macaroni
Grated zest of 1 lemon
1/3 cup lemon juice (I just used the juice of one lemon)
1/2 cup olive oil (I would reduce this to 1/4 next time maybe, it was a little oily for us)
1-2 large garlic cloves minced
1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced (I didn't remember if hubs liked Kalamatas or not, so I went with the cans of black sliced olives from the market and let me tell you those were great with it - and a lot less expensive too - I used 2 cans of those, next time though I'll do the Kalamatas)
1/4 cup chopped basil
Salt and pepper to season

Cook pasta in boiling salted water according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, whisk together the lemon zes, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, basil, salt and pepper. Then I lightly folded in the olives so they wouldn't break apart. When pasta is done drain but don't rinse. Add hot pasta to the lemon mixture and toss to coat. Season with Salt and Pepper.

Serve and boy will you ever enjoy!!

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Mmm... basil, lemon & olives?! Sounds like a winning combo to me! :) I love the Whole Foods site - so many great recipes but unfortunately it encourages me to go shopping lol.

Kate said...

This sounds delicious. I will make it this week!