January 25, 2009

Olives and Capers - how can it be bad?!?


I found a recipe on a blog recently -dont' remember where though and I'm sorry -so if it's yours let me know.


This was so easy and yummy. I did use about a half cup olives instead of the called for amount and I added more capers - since we LOVE capers. I omitted the butter as well and tossed with some olive oil.


Pasta with Olive Tapenade
- serves 2 -Adapted from Real Fast Food by Nigel Slater.


Ingredients


2 tablespoons pitted kalamata olives

1/2 teaspoon capers

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

olive oil as needed

2 tablespoons chopped parsley - didn't have - I left it out.

1/2 pound long pasta, such as spaghetti

2 tablespoons butter

salt and pepper to taste - I omitted salt


Procedure
1. Bring a pot of salty water to boil, and cook the pasta until al dente.
2. In the meantime, combine the olives, capes, oregano, and a little olive oil in a mini food processor or mortar and pestle. Blend or smash until well-combined into a paste. Add more olive oil if needed, aiming for a loose paste. (If you'd like to add a little chili, cook chili flakes over low heat in the olive oil, then add to the rest of the ingredients).
3. Drain the pasta, reserving some cooking water, and toss in a serving bowl with the olive paste and chopped parsley. Add the butter and toss until melted. If the pasta is dry, use a little pasta water or more olive oil to loosen it. Serve immediately.

No comments: