June 7, 2009

Nice Fresh Summer Meal

I found this recipe on My Recipes.com which is the page that hosts the Cooking Light Recipes.

It sounded nice and summery and perfect.

I did alter the recipe by using boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead of thighs since that is what I had on hand - and it worked just fine. I made the marinade as the recipe calls and it hardly seemed like enough for my two chicken breasts - so I'm not sure how it would work for 12 chicken thighs! I would recommend doubling the marinade at least if you did all 12 chicken thighs.

For the tomato salad, I used a mixture of parsley and basil and I have to tell you, the parsley wasn't exciting it it, it didn't lend itself well to the salad, so next time I'd go with all basil in the recipe and would suggest that for you to make it as well.

Grilled Chicken with Tomato Salad

Chicken:
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
12 chicken thighs (about 3 1/2 pounds), skinned
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Cooking spray

Salad:
2 cups grape tomatoes, halved - I used 2 pints and it was fine with enough for leftovers.
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley - again, go for basil
2 tablespoons diced red onion
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon capers, drained
2 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 garlic clove, minced

Preparation
To prepare chicken, combine first 3 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken to bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 2 hours, turning occasionally.

Prepare grill.

Remove chicken from bag; discard marinade. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Place chicken on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 9 minutes on each side or until done.

To prepare salad, combine tomatoes and remaining ingredients in a large bowl; toss well. Serve with chicken.



Very good, great for a summer cookout!

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

That looks delicious, especially with all the beautiful colors!