October 13, 2009

Down Home Cookin'


For some reason I was craving something down home, smothered and delicious. But again, I don't like to make really fatty foods or high caloric foods so finding something that fit the bill was proving challenging.

I turned to one of my good old healthy cooking site standbys - Prevention Magazine's Cook! Section.

These did not disappoint. Absolutely wonderful, flavorful, and would be the perfect meal for for a cold winters night.

I served with some acorn squash and corn on the cob and it couldn't have been any more comforting!

8 pork loin chops - 3-4 oz. each (I just used two)
1 can low sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 can mushroom stems and pieces (I just used fresh mushrooms that I sauteed first)
2 7/8 0z cans french fried onions (I omitted this but I think it would be great)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. garlic powder (I also added 1/4 tsp. pepper and 1/4 tsp. paprika)
2 T vegetable oil (I used canola)
3/4 cup fat free milk

Directions
1.
In a shallow dish, combine the flour and the garlic powder; mix well. Coat the pork chops completely with the seasoned flour. Heat the oil in a large skillet and brown the pork chops over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes per side. Dump in the soup, the mushrooms, and the milk; mix well and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook for 15 to 18 minutes, or until the pork chops are cooked through and tender. Sprinkle with the onions, and serve.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I love pork chops, I am going to have to try this!