May 15, 2010

Back home to our Midwest Roots


I adore sandwiches - I really do - they are like the perfect food. They can be healthy, fatty, vegetarian, meatatarian, you can customize it to your liking, it's quick, it's easy, and oh so good!


My mom laughs that I love sandwiches so much, but I really do have quite an affinity for them and I'm thankful the hubs doesn't fight the sandwich craze here either!

We took a trip back to my Midwest roots for this dinner. In Southern Illinois, loose meat sandwiches are quite popular - remember those episodes of Roseanne?? Well I didn't realize until reading my plethora of food blogs a bit back that the loose meat sandwich craze is NOT just a midwest thing. Reading the blog Coconut & Lime, I realized that in Baltimore they are called Steamburgers. And really the recipes are the exact same from what I grew up eating and what I researched on other websites as well.

And since Coconut & Lime has never let me down before I went with their recipe.

We enjoyed these with some pickles and the first corn on the cobs of the season for us. It was such a fun meal and made me feel like a kid again!!

Loose Meat Sandwiches aka Steamburgers or whatever you call them where you are from!
My adjustments to the recipe is here, the one from Coconut & Lime is at the link above.

1 lb very lean ground beef
2 can beef broth - low sodium and low fat
1 onion, minced
1 shallot, minced
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Pam
1/2 teaspoon paprika
salt
pepper


Directions:
Heat PAM in a large, shallow skillet. Sauté the onion and shallot softened. Add the beef and brown the beef - be sure to drain off the fat - no need to eat that!! Once drained, add in the seasonings and then the can of beef broth - I used low sodium and reduced fat beef broth but you can use whatever you want. Simmer until all of the liquid is gone - you'll notice the meat breaks down even more and gets REALLY tender. Serve on hamburger buns with mustard - so tasty and good!

No comments: