May 29, 2010

A New Use for Stew Meat


So I pick up beef stew meat at the market when it's on sale, and usually all I do is make stew with it. But I was so inspired from the tacos the other week that I decided to make beef tacos in the crock pot and decided to use up a pack of lonely beef stew meat in the freezer.

Now, first off, let me tell you, I was truly inspired by a post on Brown Eyed Baker to make your own taco seasoning, that I took an old empty jar I had and blended and mixed away in my kitchen to create our own taco seasoning. The smell is dead on, so is the flavor, and it doesn't have any of the fake bad stuff or the salt - which is an issue for me since I need to limit my sodium intake daily. So thank you Brown Eyed Baker - now go make your own and stop buying the packet mix!!

Ok Back to my tacos.

All Day Shredded Beef Tacos

1 lb. beef stew meat
1 small can tomato sauce
1-2 small cans of water (depending how much liquid your'e comfortable not using in your crock pot when you aren't home during the day)
1/4 cup tequila
2 T taco seasoning
1 can diced green Chiles
1 large onion sliced thin

Place all ingredients in your crock pot and cook on low until the meat shreds apart. Place in tortillas and enjoy. Next time I think I'll also add a can of diced tomatoes with Chiles.

1 comment:

Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker said...

You are most welcome! So glad you are enjoying your homemade taco seasoning mix!