January 18, 2011

Is it Sizzling in here or is it just me?

Back in November the Hubs and I went up to Boston to our favorite Asian Market and picked up what I thought was the type of rice used in sizzling rice soup. Turns out - I was wrong. They are actually rice cake snacks and boy were they DELICIOUS as a snack. However I already had a sizzling rice soup planned for dinner, so we opted to test these out in soup and it worked so great! They didn't make quite the sizzle, snap, pop sounded I had wanted but the texture in the soup was so good. I did find a few recipes online in the meantime on how to make sizzling rice and will try that for next time.

I had some fresh locally caught sea bass (thanks to the hubs!) defrosted and opted to do an Asian fish sizzling rice soup.

It was SO good and we will most certainly make this again. I served with a cucumber salad with rice wine vinegar and sugar.

No recipe - made it up as I went along but will happily share with you!

Asian Fish (sorta) Sizzling Rice Soup

1 recipe for sizzling rice or any type of crispy Asian rice snack
3/4-1 lb. thick cut sea bass cut in cubes
1 T canola oil
4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1-2 T reduced sodium soy sauce
2-3 green onions chopped finely
2 tsp. siracha chili sauce
1-2 tsp. fish sauce
1-t tsp. rice wine vinegar
dried seaweed to taste

In a small skillet add the canola oil and lightly fry the cubes of fish for about 30-60 seconds per piece - just until there's a light fry coat on them but they aren't cooked through. Remove and let drain on a paper towel.

In a pot, mix the stock, onion, chili sauce, fish sauce and rice wine vinegar, adding soy sauce to taste for your sodium preference. Once it starts to simmer, add in the fish and then let that simmer for another couple of minutes, just to finish cooking the fish pieces and let them release some of their flavor. Add in some seaweed pieces, if you'd like, and then place in bowls. Top with your sizzling rice.

No comments: