February 13, 2011

Before I forget...

Since I really keep this blog as a way to eliminate paper in my house - you know all of those ripped out recipes, print outs, photo copies, etc. - I try to put everything on here I make that I'd ever want to make again. And since I know I have a little following as well, I figure it's great for you to see what I stand by as well. Because, I promise, I will tell you if something is bad, not worth your time, energy or effort.

For a while now, I've been making this pasta sauce recipe, and I've never blogged it. Now, while it's so easy I don't really need it written down, it would be a problem if, say, I had to rely on having the hubs make dinner and said "Make the sauce babe" and he had no clue where to turn as a reference. now THAT would be tragic!! Because this sauce is that good - and if you aren't making it or even using it as your staple sauce - that is a BIG problem!!

This sauce is rich, flavorful, coats pasta so well, and really doesn't need any of the fancy bells and whistles or extras added in. In fact, the ONLY thing I add in is a few cracks of black pepper. I've tried it with adding garlic, basil, blah blah blah and NOTHING compares to how it tastes just plain, as is.

Tomato Sauce with Butter and Onions
Adapted from Marcela Hazan’s Essentials of Italian Cooking via Smitten Kitchen

28 ounces whole peeled tomatoes from a can (San Marzano, if you can find them) *NOTE* In a pinch, to make it a faster meal - I start out just using 28 oz. of pureed tomatoes - same taste, half the time.
5 tablespoons unsalted butter (or a stick - it's good with both!)
1 medium-sized yellow onion, peeled and halved * DO NOT DICE, CHOP, NOTHING - just peel and cut in half and toss in the sauce*
Salt and black pepper to taste * I have NEVER added salt, it doesn't need it!

Put the tomatoes, onion and butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Bring the sauce to a simmer then lower the heat to keep the sauce at a slow, steady simmer for about 45 minutes, or until droplets of fat float free of the tomatoes. Stir occasionally, crushing the tomatoes against the side of the pot with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat, discard the onion, add salt to taste (you might find, as I did, that your tomatoes came salted and that you didn’t need to add more) and keep warm while you prepare your pasta.

I like to toss the sauce with the pasta here instead of topping the pasta with the sauce. It's great all mixed together. You can add parmesan, but it really does not need it.

No comments: