March 15, 2011

Like our sushi bowls - but vegetarian!!


We made these, so long ago now, but it was a really good meal and certainly blog-worthy - it just took me time to get to it!

I secretly borrowed (ahem, stole) this recipe out of the magazine at my chiropractor's office and let me tell you I am so glad I did and it was so good I have no remorse.

This meal was really easy to make, really filling and satisfying and a great vegetarian, actually vegan dish. I will say though that between the sesame oil and sesame seeds it was a bit sesame-y, and if you don't do well with that much sesame (like me) you may want to cut back on some of the sesame goodness.

This recipe comes from Health.com magazine from Sept. 2010 and I've written it with my adaptations below. Thanks Dr. D for not noticing I took this page of your magazine (oh and 3 others!!, it's OK the magazine was there for 4 months!)

Rice with Edamame and Sea Greens
1 1/2 cups cooked rice (brown or white)
1 container shitake mushrooms cleaned and chopped up (you can use reconstituted dried mushrooms here)
1/2 cup dried seaweed
1/2 small onion finely chopped - we just used green onion
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
1 T sesame oil
2 T low sodium soy sauce
1 cup shelled edamame cooked

Cook your rice, soak your mushrooms if using dried - or chop the fresh if you're going that route. Add the mushrooms, seaweed, sesame seeds, onion, soy sauce and edamame to the rice and stir to combine. Toss with soy sauce and garnish with more toasted sesame seeds.

ENJOY! it was super tasty and would really be a powerhouse of a lunch at work too!

No comments: