March 14, 2011

Now That's Down Home Cooking


I'm not a big chicken eater, but I do still love me some chicken n' dumplings and so does the hubs. However, the hubs grew up with cut dumplings, I grew up with fluffy Bisquick dumplings. So it's always a toss up as to what to make in our house.

This time, I opted to do the dumplings that the hubs likes and used the same recipe I used last time from All Recipes.
It's a good recipe, but I just wish the dumplings were a bit lighter and fluffier. So if anyone can recommend a different strip dumpling recipe that doesn't make the dumplings so tough and more light and fluffy, that would be greatly appreciated.

For my chicken stew, I actually stew a chicken all day with carrots, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and bay leaves. Once the chicken is tender, I take it out piece by piece and de-bone, de-fat and shred it up. I then strain the broth and get all of the flavor-adders out. I then return the chicken to the pot, add the carrots back in, some peas, mushrooms, you name it - and then come the dumplings - either strip or Bisquick. It's delish!

adapted from All Recipes

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/4 cup shortening
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup milk
In a bowl, combine flour,s alt and poultry seasoning; cut in shortening until crumbly. Combine egg and milk; stir into flour mixture just until combined. On a heavily floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut into 1-in. strips; cut strips into 2-in. lengths. Place gently in your stew and cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes

No comments: