June 10, 2011

It's like a flavor explosion


I love with quick and easy meals surprise you in a million ways. This meal was pretty much added to my reader because I liked the idea of having a great, new, flavorful meals to "clean out the pantry" a bit.

The main course was quick, easy, flavorful and delicious. The salad, I totally winged it and made it up on my own - but I'll share it here so you can give it a whirl.

Thanks to Branny Boils Over for this delicious, hearty, filling meal.

Pineapple Pinto Beans
2 cups pinto beans, rinsed
1 small jalapeno pepper, minced
4 oz crushed pineapple in juice
1/4 tsp cumin
1 tsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

In a small sauce pan, heat olive oil until shimmering. Add minced jalapeno and cook about 3 minutes over medium heat, until softened. Combine remaining ingredients in sauce pan and cook until heated through, mashing a portion of the beans, if desired.

Mexislaw
In a bowl, combine 2 -3 tsp. canola oil, 1-2 tsp. white vinegar, a pinch of salt, a sprinkle of cayenne and taco seasoning (remember I make and use my own). Whisk that up and give a little taste to make sure your seasoning and spices are ok. Then toss this with a half of a bag of coleslaw mix and let sit for 30 minutes to get the flavors to meld. I topped the coleslaw with a low carb tortilla that I cut in thin strips and sprayed with Pam and seasoned with taco seasoning and warmed until crisp in a non stick skillet. SO GOOD!!

No comments: