June 25, 2011

A Lighter Chinese Fare


The hubs and I have been doing really well watching what we're eating lately and reducing our portions. So I've been on the prowl for lighter versions of recipes. And since we adore all Asian foods, this simply caught my eye.

I recently re-introduced chicken in to my diet. I had given up chicken about 2 years ago and gone to a largely vegetarian diet. However, I've decided to reintroduce chicken as a protein option because I was eating way too many beans for protein, really upping my carb intake.

So this was the first recipe I made that I decided to eat chicken with again in a LONG time. And oh my goodness it was so tasty and good and I can't wait to make it again. The chicken was so tender and moist and the flavors were wonderfully blended - the perfect Asian cuisine that wasn't a fried chicken recipe!

I served this with some rice and sauteed asparagus - truly wonderful dinner!
Thanks to BlogChef for another truly outstanding recipe!

Chicken in Garlic Sauce

Ingredients:
1lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1” chunks)
2 garlic cloves (minced)
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup water
¼ cup honey
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (divided)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes - I use Siracha
1 head fresh broccoli (cut into florets)

In a bowl combine garlic, soy sauce, water, honey, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, cornstarch, black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Mix well. Stir chicken into the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. - Um, I didn't read this part of the recipe - I let it marinate for about 30 minutes and it was still delicious!

In a large wok or skillet, heat remaining tablespoon of oil over medium high heat. With a slotted spoon remove the chicken from the marinade and add to the wok or fry pan (reserve the marinade). Stir fry chicken for 3 minutes. Add broccoli and stir fry for an addition 2 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.

Add the reserved marinade to the wok or fry pan and cook until thickened.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

ooh, this looks delicious!