November 28, 2014

Since it's been almost a year since my last post...

Let's post a nice summer recipe - you know, as it's 30 degrees outside and there was snow on the ground this morning.

I spent the end of 2013 and in to 2014 hopefully finishing up any and all treatments for my thyroid cancer. I was at a job that was very demanding on my time, and left me little time or energy for much of anything on nights and weekends but napping on the couch. (I've since left that job and am going back to my old employer in a new role in December) During the times where I actually had energy during 2014, I laid low. We visited family in the summer, and spent many weekends working on projects around the house. The hubs and I spent some quality time together this past year - having fun, making memories, and just enjoying our time together.

This summer we went strawberry picking again - only our 2nd time since we've lived out here. We ended the day with quite the bounty, and I decided it was best to use a large portion of those for a fresh strawberry pie - one of my all time favorite pies. But I didn't want to use any of the artificial red goo in a tub that you traditionally think of when you think of strawberry pie.

There are quite a few recipes out there that don't use tubbed red goo - but they all call for things that aren't naturally strawberry - like jam or jelly, or yogurt, or whipped cream. But then I found a wonderfully perfect recipe that was just wanted I wanted on the Pillsbury website of all places.

It was absolutely the most delicious pie and just what I wanted - and I'll absolutely make it again next summer when we get to go berry picking again!



Fresh Strawberry Pie

* my edits are here *
1 frozen pie crust, baked as directed on the package.
6 cups fresh strawberries
1 cup sugar
3 T corn starch (I used my husband's special corn starch that he uses for making jams so it doesn't end up cloudy)
1/2 cup water

Cut and crush strawberries to make 1 cup. Then mix sugar and cornstarch in a pot and stir in crushed strawberries and water. Cook stirring constantly until it gets bubbly and thick and sticks to the back of a spoon. Then let this mixture cool.

When the pie crust comes out let that cool. In a large bowl place the rest of the strawberries which you've diced up in to bite sized pieces. Once the filling is cool, toss with the fresh strawberries and get everything coated. Then pour that mixture into the cooked pie crust. Place in the fridge and let chill until it all sets up nicely.

It's delicious!!!

No comments: