November 22, 2007

Chicken Cordon Blue in a White Wine Sauce

I was trying to decide what to take for my monthly Habitat for Humaity dinner the other week when mom told me oh you should make that chicken with cream sauce I used to make. Failing to find the recipe like she was describing it online, I decided to get out my old elementary school cook book, relinquishing myself to making another recipe she used to make - Whamo! Chicken I decided I'd browse for something else to make.


Lo and behold 3 pages from Whamo! Chicken was the chicken recipe submitted by my mom!


It was a little time consuming to make (thank heavens I took the whole day out of work - just kidding!) but it was such a delicious meal. I served it over a mixture of white and brown rice and with fresh squash sauteed.



4 chicken breasts, butterflied

parsley dried or fresh for garnish

4 thin slices of baby swiss cheese

4 thin slices of low sodium ham

1/4 - 1/2 cup bread crumbs

3 T wheat germ (optional)

Lay chicken out and place ham and cheese over breast. Roll the breast up and then roll into the mixture of bread crumbs and wheat germ. (You can choose to do an egg wash but my chicken was moist enough that I didn't bother.)

Spray baking pan and place chicken rolls in pan with seam facing down. Bake in preheated ovedn on 425 for 20 minutes or until browned and cheese is melty.

Sauce

1 C fat free low sodium chicken stock

3T flour

3 T white wine (I used sherry and it did turn the sauce a little brown but was still delicious)

2/3 cup milk

onion poweder, white pepper, nutmeg to taste

parsley to garnish

Combine broth and wine in saucepan and heat to boiling, redudce heat. Mix flour and milk in small cup and then stir into the simmering broth. Cook until thick and bubbly. Sprinkle in herbs and seasonings. Pour over chicken and serve.

No comments: