February 19, 2008

Savory Mushroom Goodness

Is that not the perfect winter nights meal or what??

Sunday night I planned to make Anthony Bourdains' Mushroom soup for dinner and oh my gosh what an easy and incredible recipe - and my homemade artisan bread to accompany it was a great thing.
If you like mushrooms I highly recommend you walk, no run, to your favorite seller of fungus and get ready for your tastebuds to be delighted.
And your wallet and watch will thank you too!

Bourdain’s Mushroom Soup
- makes 4 servings -


Ingredients

6 tablespoons butter (I used 3)
1 onion, thinly sliced
12 ounces button mushrooms, halved
4 cups chicken stock (I used fat free low sodium)
1 sprig parsley
2 ounces sherry
salt and pepper



Procedure
1. Over medium heat, melt two tablespoons of the butter in a saucepan. Toss in the onion and cook until soft but not browned.

2. Toss in the remaining butter and then add the mushrooms. Cook for 8 minutes.



Mmmm Fungus and Onions!

3. Pour in the chicken stock, add the parsley, and bring to a boil. When bubbling, reduce to a simmer and cook for an hour.

4. Pour soup into a blender (you might need to do this in stages), and process until smooth. If you have an immersion blender use it here.... your kitchen will thank you and you won't loose the mushroom goodness.

Return to the saucepan and bring to a simmer. Pour in the sherry, and season with salt and pepper.


Now Note: I reduced the butter by half and that was MORE than fine!!! And when you reduce the butter and put the recipe as in the WW recipe builder, it's only 3 points a serving, not bad for something so regal tasting and looking.

1 comment:

Chrissy said...

I just found your blog and I'm going to add it to my blogroll!