February 19, 2008

Cranberry Orange Bread


I decided to use some of my frozen cranberries this weekend to make some bread.


Now I adore cranberries, and I knew my problem with making this would be that Adam wouldn't eat any - leaving me a whole loaf. Which I thought would be wonderful - until I put the recipe in my WW recipe builder and IKES it's 5 points a slice. Needless to say after my two slices the rest of the loaf is going into the office kitchen tomorrow.


The bread itself was delicious. A little tart, a little tangy, a little sweet and very dense and filling.


Do add the nuts to the recipe, it really makes the recipe - I added whole walnuts, it was so good.


This is the recipe from the back of the cranberry bag.


2 Cups flour

1 Cup sugar

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. baking soda

3/4 cup OJ

2 T shortening

1 T grated orange peel

1 egg well beaten

1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen chopped cranberries

1/2 cup chopped nuts


Preheat oven to 350. Grease loaf pan. Mix together dry ingredients. Stir in orange juice, shortening, oragne peel and egg. mix until blended. Stir in cranberries and nuts. Spread in loaf pan and bake for minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool on rack.


NOTE: Mine had to cook for over an hour to be done in the center.


But oooo was it worth it and it is such a pretty shade of pinky red.


No comments: