March 13, 2008

Maple Chicken & Ribs by Candlelight






I had been planning to make this meal for an age, and so many of my friends have raved about it. I finally found a great deal on chicken thighs and got the stuff to make it - and wow we were not disappointed. Even the lefotvers were great!

I saw this recipe on an episode of Nigella on Food Network and wanted to replicate it as was - red cabbage and all.

Oh my gosh what a great combination of flavors. And so easy.

The only issue we had was that with only about a half hour left of cooking, our power went out with the storm we were having and I had to pull everything from the oven and finish cooking on the stove top - thank heavens for a Gas stove!

So we couldn't see what we were eating, but it sure tasted great! I do have pictures, but I'm too lazy to upload them!

Nigella's Maple Chicken & Ribs
(Served with sweet potatoes and pickeled red cabbage)

12 pork spare ribs
12 chicken thighs, with skin and bones (we just used chicken)
1 cup apple juice, as sharp as possible (I used apple cider)
4 tablespoons/1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 star anise (I only had one so I just used the one)
1 cinnamon stick, halved (I used 2)
6 unpeeled garlic cloves

Put the ribs and chicken pieces in a couple of large freezer bags or into a dish.
Add all the remaining ingredients, squelching everything together well before sealing the bag or covering the dish.

Leave to marinade in the refrigerator overnight or up to 2 days.

Take the dish out of the refrigerator and preheat the oven to 200C/400 degrees F.
Pour the contents of the freezer bag into 1 or 2 large roasting trays (making sure the chicken is skin side up) and place in the preheated oven and cook for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, by which time everything should be sticky and glossed conker-brown.

(Even the leftovers were delicous!)




No comments: