May 26, 2008

Ciao Italia

I've recently discovered Ciao Italia on PBS and have been enjoying watching the shows on the DVR.

I've discovered in the past month or so I really enjoy the PBS cooking shows much more than the food network shows. I feel more educated when I watch them and not just entertained.

A few episodes ago Mary Ann had her sister on with her making sauces to put with Gnocchi or other pastas.

This one really caught my eye.

I made it last Monday for dinner for Adam, Mom and I and it was simple and delicious.

Nancy Verde Barr's Grated Zucchini Sauce

Sugo di Zucchini Grattato


INGREDIENTS
4 tablespoons unsalted butter

2 tablespoons Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil

3 large cloves garlic, minced

1 large onion, finely chopped

1 celery stalk, finely chopped

1 medium carrot, finely chopped

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 pound zucchini, washed, ends trimmed and grated

1/4 cup dry white wine or 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1/2 cup whole small basil leaves

Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese


DIRECTIONS
Heat the butter and oil in a 12-to-14-inch sauté pan and stir in the garlic, onion, celery and carrot. Season with salt and pepper and cook gently until the vegetables are softened but not browned. Stir in the zucchini, season with salt and pepper and cook over high heat until tender and wilted, 7 to 8 minutes. Pour in the wine or lemon juice and reduce by half.Toss the basil leaves into the pan with hot, drained pasta and serve with grated cheese.Note: This sauce is excellent with cavatelli.


I made this with the lemon juice and it was wonderful with the lemon flavor. Highly recommend this meal for your kitchen!

No comments: