August 31, 2008

I want pork pork pork pork pork

At the end of my fork, Pork Pork Pork Pork!



There's a Chipotle Ad that aired on the radio a while back with a great little ditty about wanting pork at the end of your fork. Everytime we eat pork at home, we both sing that little ditty - but only that refrain line I typed above - because that's all we can remember.



The other week at the market I found two HUGE stuffing pork chops at the market for 5 bucks. What a bargain!



I decided I wanted to make stuffed porkchops after a few of my friends have made them on their blogs in the past weeks - it gave me a hankering!



I started the endeavor by making my homemade stuffing that I love. This is how my mom made it growing up and is still my favorite stuffing.



For the Stuffing:

In a dutch oven, sautee in butter, one diced onion, 4 diced celery stalks, garlic, and 1 conatiner of sliced mushrooms. When all of that is tender, add one bag of stuffing mix (such as Peppridge Farms). Moisten with 1 can of chicken stock and a little under 1 cup of water. Add fresh sage to season.



I made the stuffing early this AM and let cool all day.



For the pork chops



Take a large, thick pork chop and cut a pouch in the pork chop. Line the inside of the chop with fresh sage leaves. Add stuffing mixture. Press or seal closed. Brown the porkchops briefly in a skillet then transfer to baking dish. Add about an 8th of an inch of water to the pan. Top the cops with a pat of butter each and some more sage leaves. Cover with foil, leaving one corner open for steam to escape. Bake at 350 for about an hour or until pork is done.



Serve with more stuffing if you'd like.



This was by far enough for one person alone. We both only ate half our chops and stuffing and now have lunch for Tuesday!

No comments: