I love Pastitso and Moussaka.
We had a pile of reat tomatoes from our garden and an eggplant to use as well. I also had some ground beef out for supper.
I totally made this up as I went along and HOLY COW this turned out incredible.
I decided with the ingredients I had I would combine these two favroite dishes of mine and wing it.
I think I like this name and will stick with it.
1/2 pound penne pasta cooked.
1 lb. ground beef browned and drained of fat.
1 medium to large eggplant sliced with the skin on in rounds
diced tomatoes - either fresh or canned
1. boil pasta and drain. set aside.
2. brown the ground beef and drain. set aside.
3. slice eggplant and layer in a colader with salt and let sit, tossing occassionally until the eggplant softens. this will help remoe some of the bitter flavor.
4. dice tomatoes
5. In a large bowl mix the ground beef and tomatoes- season with salt, pepper, and a little bit of nutmeg.
6. in a large baking dish, spray with pam. Put one layer of eggplant down, and then the pasta. Add a layer of meat. Add another layer of eggplant, more meat.
7. Prepare sauce - you will need a triple recipe. Melt 6 T of butter on low. Add in 6 T of flour. Then add in 3 cups of warmed milk. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Simmer until just thick. Pour over the top of the casserole. You may want to take a spoon and shift ingredients a bit to ensure sauce goes all the way to the bottom.
8. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
DELICIOUS - we both raved about this meal for days!