October 22, 2008

Mom's Orange Chicken


When I was young my mom used to make this reciep all the time - I don't know if it's from an actual recipe - or she made it up.


Either way I make it a lot and it's delicious and easy and a crowd pleaser.


I took this to my Habitat for Humanity Dinner Meeting last night and it was a crowd pleaser.



Orange Chicken


1 package of boneless skinless chicken thighs - about 3 or 4 pounds

1 gallon of orange juice

1 bunch of cilantro

5 cloves of garlic

1 large onion sliced

1 packet of taco seasoning mix

1 small can of mandarin oranges in water or pear juice, drained.


In a crock pot or large dutch oven...


Place the chicken, the OJ, cilantro, garlic, onion and taco seasoning. Let simmer all day until chicken is tender and you can shredd. Shredd the chicken and return to the pot. Then add the minced cilantro leaves and the drained can of mandarin oranges and turn off the heat and let sit for about 15 minutes.


Serve the shredded chicken in tortillas with sour cream, salsa, guac, whatever. You can also serve this over rice too!


No comments: