October 22, 2008

A Side of Deliciousness


I don't usually pull out recipes for side dishes for meals, especially during the week. I'm more of a couscous, rice, noodle type girl. And as for veggies we're pretty much eat it as it comes, beans, broccoli, etc.


But I saw this recipe and wanted to try this out and it did not disappoint. The only difference I would make is that I wouldnt' put the chicken broth in - it made it way too runny, I expected more of a firm mash like a mashed potato.


Other than that this is REALLY good and well worth the make.


Garlic Mashed Root Vegetables


2 medium potatoes peeled and quartered

2 medium carrots peeled and quartered

8 oz. butternut sqash peeled and diced

1 medium turnip peeled and diced

5 medium garlic cloves peeled and diced

1/8 tsp. salt

1/4 cup fat free sour cream

1/2 cup fat free chicken broth - again, i would omit this it didn't need it

1/8 tsp. black pepper

1/8 tsp. salt to taste


Place all of the veggies and the garlic in a pot and cover with water and boil until tender for 10 - 12 minutes. Drain well and let dry out a bit. Then mash with a masher and stir in sour cream and broth. Season with salt and pepper.


I served this with the parmesan crusted tilapia recipe that is on the blog too!

No comments: