October 22, 2008

When You Think You Have It, And You Don't....

Improvise.


I swore up and down I had cubed steaks in the freezer, but alas when this meal came to fruition, I did not. So I used a lean thin cut of beef that I usually use for fajitas or stir fry and sliced that up to make this meal and WOW it was just as good if not better.


So I'm posting this as I made it.


It is Cubed Steaks Paprika from the Better Homes and Garden Breast Cancer Awareness Cookbook.


So the recipe calls for taking the cube steaks and cooking them in butter over medium high heat until they are done and then making the sauce.


So I used the beef steaks instead. I cooked 1 lb. of lean beef slices in pam then removed from the pan.


Remove the meat from the pan and reserve the drippings. For the sauce, cook 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms, 1/2 cup chopped onion, 1 clove of garlic, 2 tsp. of paprika, and 1/3 tsp. black pepper in the skillet until mushrooms are tender.


Stir in 1 cup beef broth.


In a small dish mix together 1/2 cup dairy sour cream and 2 T flour.


Add the sour cream and flour mixture to the sauce and mix to combined and leat go until bubbly. Cook and stir. Return beef to skillet and heat it up. Serve with egg noodles.

No comments: