December 21, 2008

WOW, that's a tasty side!

I always love recipes for side items but it's a rarity that I make them... we're more of a let's put on some rice or couscous kinda family.


But I have this vegetarian cookbook that I adore and for years - and I mean probably like 10 or more years I've wanted to make this side dish.


So I figured I finally wood and well it did not disappoint what so ever.


From the Vegetarian Cookbook, Delicious Recipes for all Occassions


Artichoke Polenta Pie


6 T butter or margarine

1/2 cup finely chopped onion

1/2 cup dry polenta or yellow cornmeal

2 cups broth

1 package, 10 oz. frozen corn kernels

2 large onions, sliced thinly

2 cloves of garlic, minced

1 /2 tsp fennel seeds

1 package 10 oz, frozen artichoke hearts, thawed- or use canned

1/8 tsp. paprika

1/2 cup bread crumbs

1 T parsley, chopped

1/4 cup grated parmesan


1. melt 2 T of butter in a 3-4 quart pan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and ook, stirring often, until soft but not browned. Meanwhile in a medium size bowl mix polenta and 1 cup of warmed broth, set aside.


2. add corn and remaining 1 cdup of broth to onion mixture. increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Using a long handled spoon, stir polenta mixture into corn mixture. reduce heat and boil gently, stirring constantly until mixture is the consistency of soft mashed potatoes- 10 minutes


3. pour mixture into a shallow 2 quart casserole dish. using back of spoon press polenta over bottom and about 1 inch up the side of the pan.


4. melt 2 T more butter in a wide frying pan over medium heat. Add sliced onions , half the garlic, and fennel. Cook stirring often until onions are soft and begin to brown. Spoon into polenta crust. Top with artichokes.


5. melt remaining 2 T butter in frying pan and cook on medium heat. add remaining garlic and paprika. cook stirring until garlic begins to brown. mx in bread crumbs. remove from heat and stir in parsley. sprinkle mixture over artichokes, top with cheese, bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.


serves 4-6


CHANGES:

I omitted the fennel

I didn't use the butter but used Pam - that removed 6 T of butter from the recipe and a LOT of fat.

I did not put the remaining garlic and paprika in a pan again - I just put all the garlic in the first time and topped with paprika.


SO good - did not disappoint.

2 comments:

Robin said...

That looks so good, and different from the same old, same old. I'm gonna have to try this one!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Ooh - I need to cook more with artichoke and polenta so this is a great recipe to try out!