March 2, 2009

Finally good Indian Food!

So I tried making curried chick peas a few weeks ago and it was such a bust I couldn't even eat the meal.


So I finally found a recipe on epicurious.com I thought I'd try - similar to what my friend Rupa at work told me real Dal is supposed to taste like.


I even made sure I had tumeric this time!


This was SO delicious, easy and fun. I served with diced tomatoes, naan (from the store heated in the oven), and fresh sauteed spinach.


I will so make this again!


Red Lentil Dal



1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups chopped onions
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups water
1 cup dried red lentils
3/4 teaspoon turmeric
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup basmati rice, cooked according to package directions
2 plum tomatoes, seeded, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 jalapeño chili, seeded, chopped


Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add 1 cup onion and 1 minced garlic clove and sauté until tender and golden brown, about 10 minutes. Set aside. Combine 3 cups water, lentils, remaining 1 cup onion, 2 minced garlic cloves, turmeric, cumin and ginger in heavy medium saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer half of lentil mixture to processor; purée until smooth. Return purée to same saucepan. Mix in sautéed onion mixture. Simmer 5 minutes to blend flavors. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Spoon rice into bowls. Spoon dal over. Top with tomatoes, cilantro and chili.


We didn't have this with rice, instead the naan. It was so good either way.


Do make this!!

No comments: