March 2, 2009

Warm, Satisfying, Flavorful

I love ethnic foods. I recently read an article in Cooking Light that when people are trying to loose weight and eat ehalthy the things they crave most are ethnic foods because of the diversity of flavors.


I would find that to be very true.


On Superbowl Sunday, I made this soup for dinner rather than our normal chili that we make. I know Superbowl Sunday and I'm just posting this - I'm behind and I"m sorry!


It was so good and satisfying.


From Cooking Light Jan/Feb 2008.


Tom Yum Goong (Spicy Thai Shrimp Soup)


1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp
9 1/2 cups water, divided
1/2 cup chopped peeled fresh galangal (about 2 ounces) - this is similar to ginger, I just used ginger - and I used dry and just used a tablespoon.
1/2 cup (2-inch) pieces peeled fresh lemongrass (about 4 stalks) - again I used a tsp. of dried lemongrass, I don't love lemongrass.
6 fresh or frozen kaffir lime leaves - this is the same as lime leaves, or the zest of the lime, we used zest of two limes.
1/2 cup canned straw mushrooms, quartered
2 tablespoons roasted red chili paste (such as Thai Kitchen) - omitted
1 tablespoon fish sauce - omitted
2 Thai chiles
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
6 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted unsalted peanuts
4 lime wedges


Peel and devein shrimp, reserving shells. Combine shrimp shells and 6 cups water in a Dutch oven; bring to a simmer. Cook 1 hour. Strain broth through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Combine broth and remaining 3 1/2 cups water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Add galangal, lemongrass, and kaffir lime leaves to pan; simmer 10 minutes. Strain broth mixture through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Return broth mixture to pan. Add mushrooms, chili paste, fish sauce, and chiles; bring to a boil. Stir in shrimp, green onions, and cilantro; cook 3 minutes or until shrimp are done. Discard chiles. Stir in fresh lime juice. Ladle 2 cups soup into each of 4 bowls; sprinkle evenly with peanuts. Serve with lime wedges.

No comments: