March 2, 2009

Martha Stewart - How do I love thee??

I love thee so much that I will make this recipe again and again and even try some more of yours.

I found this recipe on a blog a long time ago but hadn't gotten around to making it. The recipe is from Martha Stewart's Every Day Food Magazine.

This was my first foray in to cooking eggs this way and it was so good I can't imagine cooking eggs any other way now.

This was a great entree salad. Again, will certainly be part of the rotation in our house now.

Warm Spinach Salad with Fried Eggs & Potatoes.


I made this to serve 2 but the recipe serves four. Since it was an entree salad for dinner I gave us each two eggs on it and I did add a couple of pieces of crumpled bacon on each salad - just the Oscar Meyer microwave bacon.

4 T Olive Oil

2 baking potatoes, about 1 pound, scrubbed and cubed in to 1/2 inch cubes

coarse salt and pepper

2 T red wine vinegar - I used balsamic, our red wine vinegar went bad

1 T dijon mustard

1 shallot minced - I put it through the garlic press

2 bunches spinach 2 lbs. total. Stems removed. I just used one bag of baby spinach leaves for the two of us.

2 oz. parmesan cheese

4 large eggs.

In a large nonstick skillet heat 2T oil over medium heat. Add the potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook tossing occasionally until they are tender and slightly browned. About 15 minutes.

Meanwhile in a large bowl combine the remaining 2 T oil, the vinegar, mustard, shallot and season with salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.

(The recipe asks you to toss the spinach with the dressing here but we topped our sald with the dressing instead).

Place spinach in a large bowl and toss with the warm potatoes when they are done cooking. The spinach will slightly begin to wilt.

Heat skillet over medium heat and gently crack eggs in to pan. Season with salt and pepper. Do not break yolks. Cook until whites are almost set, about 1 minute. Cover pan and turn off heat and let stand until whites are just set but yolks are still soft, about 2 more minutes. Top each salad with eggs and serve.

We topped with the dressing, the bacon and parmesan cheese.

No comments: