May 25, 2009

Fiddleheads made another appearance

I found this recipe on a blog I frequent - Vegan Yum Yum. I have really grown in to loving this blog and it's one of my favorites to visit in my feeds.

The photos are stunning, the recipes are easily laid out, and they are delicious!

I saw this one the other week and it piqued my interest because it is fiddlehead season out here in RI. I had planned to make this recipe this week using the frozen fiddleheads we blanched earlier this season. But we found some nice ones at the market that were fresh so I knew this had to get bumped up in the meal rotation this week.

We made this saturday night for a nice meal in.

I didn't have any dried morels, nor fresh, so I opted for some dried shitake mushrooms that we had in the house and I feel the flavor was still wnderful.

I did made a few alterations - such as using a mix of olive oil and butter to pan fry the gnocchi and veggies in. I also added some garlic to the mix to get the flavors going.

This was incredible, I was not disappointed, nor was the hubs. It was out of this world easy, fresh, light, tasty and delicious!

Pan-Fried Gnocchi with Morels and Fiddleheads
The recipe from Vegan Yum Yum is here
This is how I made it to serve two.

2 T olive oil, give or take and 2 T butter
1 16 oz. package gnocchi, cooked and drained and dried.
1 package of dried shitake mushrooms
1 cup fresh fiddleheads washed and dried
1 can quartered artichoke hearts
salt and pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste

Wash and soak the mushrooms until tender - about 20 minutes.

Boil the water for the gnocchi and get them cooking - let them drain and dry.

Heat a skillet with 1 T olive oil and 1 T butter and once hot, add the fiddleheads. Cook until the color begins to brighten and they start to get tender. Add the mushrooms and artichoke hearts and season with garlic, salt and pepper. Once everything is tender, remove to a bowl.

Return the skillet to the heat and add more butter and oil Once hot, add the gnocchi and let them brown, tossing as they cook.

Once the gnocchi are browned, add the vegetables back to the skillet to heat everything. Add a touch more salt and pepper if needed. Toss gently as not to break the artichoke hearts or the ferns.

ENJOY!

No comments: