May 25, 2009

It's a new twist on Chex

I was looking for a recipe for a dessert type chex or snack mix to take to our friend's house this week - we're big snackers so we always like something sweet to munch on after our dinner while we're sitting around watching TV or playing games.

I found this on Allrecipes.com and picked it because it was highly rated by a lot of users. It certainly did not disappoint. I will add this to the mix of things to take when I need to go somewhere - heck maybe this will make it's way in to our holiday treat packs we send to friends and family.

Caramel Snack Mix

1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup white corn syrup
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans and 1 cup almonds - I just used mixed nuts
1 12 oz. package Chex - I used half corn, half rice
*I also added in some pretzle twists*

Preheat oven to 275. Spray roasting pan with non stick cooking spray

In a medium sized microwave bowl, mix butter, corn syrup and sugar. Place the mixture in the mincrowave and cook for 2 minutes or until better melts.

Place the cereal, nuts in the roasting pan. Pour the butter mixture over the cereal and nuts and mix gently.

Bake for an hour and stir every 15 minutes - Mine went for an hour 15 total.

While it is cooling, be sure to stir otherwise it will clump.





No comments: