September 17, 2009

If you like cabbage....

You'll like this meal.

I found this recipe on one of the food blogs I read (I can't remember which now), but it's from Recipezaar.

We love cabbage, and I really love stuffed cabbage leaves, but I think they are so time consuming to make. This recipe combined everything I like about stuffed cabbage but made it so much easier to make on a week night!

This is a make again, both the hubs and I loved it - and it was even great leftover for lunch.

Cabbage Casserole

1.5 lbs ground pork or beef - I used meatloaf mixture this time, next time I'd use turkey or lean beef
1 med. onion, chopped
dash of garlic
dash of oregano
32 ounces spaghetti sauce - this is 1 jar plus one small 8 oz. can - and trust me you'll want the extra 8 oz.
1/4 cup rice - I think I probably used more like a cup - it was leftover so I just used what was left.
dash of basil
1 head cabbage, shredded
4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded - I only used about half a cup on top.

Directions:

Boil cabbage for 3 minutes, then drain thoroughly.
Brown onion and pork with spices, then drain.
Place 1/2 cabbage in 9×13 casserole pan. Top with 1/2 meat mixture, then 1/2 spaghetti sauce and 1/2 rice. Repeat.
Top with cheese. Cover and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. Remove cover and make sure cheese is melted.

*NOTE* Instead of layering, because I had so much more cabbage than meat or rice, I just popped the cabbage in the bottom of the greased casserole, then put the rice and meat on top and then the sauce and cheese... still was wonderful and a bit easier than layering everything multiple times.

Sorry there's not picture -we sat down to eat so late because the hubs worked late - so we just dug right in.

*UPDATE* I finally found where I got the recipe from in my reader! Black Cat Kitchen

http://jesstyler.wordpress.com/2009/09/02/cabbage-casserole-or-why-cooking-with-colors-is-fun/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link love :) Glad you liked it. I agree - putting all the cabbage on the bottom is probably WAY easier.