September 7, 2009

Perhaps the best new Caesar Dressing


I have been in a major mood for Chicken Caesar Salad for a few weeks now.

Now I do make a KILLER Caesar Salad Dressing (one of the few good things I learned from my dad - but that's another story).

My dressing is oil based - no egg, no anchovy. But as much as I love that dressing, sometimes I just want a good creamy ceasar salad dressing. But I refuse to use raw egg in my dressing - I just don't feel it's safe to do.

Since our house is pretty much packed up to move (when we ever get an offer and find a new house!) I only left out 4 cook books. So my pickings right now are pretty limited when it comes to choosing the dinner menu each week.

I came across this recipe in one of my favorite cook books - The All New Good Housekeeping Cook Book. This was given to us as a wedding gift along with a collection of Penzy Spices and really has always stuck with us as one of the most memorable wedding gifts because it was so fitting for us!

Anywho - back to the salad!

For the Chicken - I marinated the breasts during the day in lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic, lemon oil and a bit of white wine vinegar. I grilled the chicken up and then sliced it on the salad.

New Caesar Salad Dressing

In a large bowl with wire whisk, mix the following:

1/4 cup mayonnaise (I used low fat)

1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese

3 T fresh lemon juice (3T was a bit much - 2 would be better, it was too tart, I had to add a bit more mayo and oil to compensate)

2 T water

2 tsp. anchovy paste (I omitted and used 2 tsp. worchestire sauce instead)

* I also added in 2 T olive oil to help it cling a bit more to the lettuce and it was a great addition*

Once everything is combined, toss with the lettuce and serve with chicken.

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Mmmm... its been awhile since I had a real good Caesar dressing. I just might have to make this very soon! Now I just have to figure out what to do with the leftover anchovies in the package after using some for this recipe! :)