October 17, 2009

Caramel Apples for Dinner?


Um, yeah, seriously, caramel apples for dinner!!

I found this recipe for Caramel Apple Pork Chops on all recipes and it was fan-frigging-tastic. I'm already dreaming of making these again. It was the prefect combo of sweet and savory and just such a perfect fall dinner.

The recipe calls for making these on the stove top. But, and I'm going to admit something here... there is nothing I dislike more about cooking than babysitting a stove top (unless it's for risotto or polenta). Therefore every time you see a recipe on this blog that calls for a stove top cooking process for a meat or something like that - you can bet a good 90% of the time I cook it in the oven instead. Truth be told by the end of the day after working, the last thing I have any interest in doing is standing at a stove top flipping meat!

So you can CERTAINLY make this in the oven - in fact, I totally would - it was so easy and so good!


The changes I made. Place oven at 350 and spray a pan with PAM.

Season pork with salt and pepper on both sides.

Cook the apples on the stove top according to the recipe and then remove them with a slotted spoon and place on top of the pork chops. Drizzle a TINY bit of sauce over the apples and pork and bake for about 30 minutes until the pork is done.

While that's cooking you can finish cooking the sauce to thicken it up - and let me tell you it really does make caramel sauce. Like top your ice cream, dip your apples, make your turtles, caramel sauce!

When the pork is done, plate it, top with the sauce and sprinkle some chopped nuts on top - I used pecans.

Serve with some wonderful fall squash or corn and enjoy!!

No comments: