October 13, 2009

It's Fishy and It's Round!


I love fish - any seafood really - I adore it!
(can you tell there aren't too many foods I don't like?!)

I love to make fish cakes/patties. It's an easy dinner and they are easy to take for lunch leftover as well.

I found this recipe for Salmon Cakes at Chop. Stir. Mix (great blog by the way if you don't have it in you regular rotation) but it looks like she got it from Food Network. So mad props to all - excellent meal!

Great, easy meal. Serve it up with some roasted potatoes and veggies and mmm mmm good!!

Even great on a light hamburger bun the next day for lunch!


What you need:

2 strips bacon, cooked until crispy, crumbled, bacon fat reserved (I used three bacon strips because I'm a bacon ho')

1/4 cup chopped onion

1 egg

1/2 cup mayonnaise

2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

1/2 teaspoon sugar (Omitted - didn't need it)

1/2 lemon, zested

1 (14-ounce) can wild salmon, checked for large bones (I used a fresh fillet, cooked earlier in the day and then cooled)

1 baked or boiled russet potato, peeled, and fluffed with a fork (I just microwaved)

1/4 cup bread crumbs (I used a mix of bread and panko)

2 tablespoons grated Parmesan

Freshly ground black pepper

1/2 cup vegetable oil (I omitted - see below)

1) Fry up some BACON!
2) Remove bacon, place on paper towel, toss the onions into the bacon grease (Hey, I never said this was a low-fat recipe). Cook until see-through and let cool a bit.
3) Mix the bacon, onion, egg, mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, and lemon zest in a bowl.
4) Add the salmon and the potato and mix gently
5) In a shallow dish, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan, and pepper, to taste.
6) Form patties (around 12 small ones or 9 medium) and coat them in the bread crumb topping.
This is where I moved from the recipe
The recipe has you fry the cakes in 1/2 cup of oil - egads!!! We popped ours on my air bake cookie sheet and baked at 350 for about 15 minutes-20 minutes and they got nice and crispy. I did spray the tops of the cakes with my olive oil mister to ensure they got a little brown and crispy and they sure did!

No comments: