January 17, 2010

My first homemade pancakes


I have never tried making homemade pancakes before - and I love pancakes.

So I figure once a month I should splurge and make a new pancake recipe until I find some that we really enjoy.

My first one up was from the blog Simply Recipes - which I've made many an items from her before.

These are an overnight pancake but in my eyes are worth the extra time and love for a great flavor. Now the texture is dense and chewy - not a fluffy light pancake. I loved them - the hubs, not so much - he wants something lighter and fluffier - so now I know for next time.

But these are WAY tasty - so do try them.

NOTE: when she says to oil the pan - OIL THE PAN. I lost 3 pancakes because of failure to oil the pan/griddle. I also added a bit of cinnamon to the mixture and it was so good.

2 cups oats (the regular kind - Old Fashioned or Quick, not steel-cut and not instant)
3 cups buttermilk
3 eggs, well beaten
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Dash salt
1 Tbsp peanut oil -(I used canola - next time I'd omit for applesauce.)
Butter or extra vegetable oil for the griddle

Optional
A basket of strawberries - stems removed, sliced, and macerated with 2 Tbsp of sugar for an hour, then slightly mashed
Maple syrup


1 Put oats into a large bowl, add the buttermilk. Let the oats soak in the buttermilk overnight.

2 Mix in the eggs, flour, baking powder, salt, and peanut oil.

3 Then proceed as with any pancake recipe. Heat a flat iron surface - griddle or large pan - to medium high heat. Oil the pan with either a Tbsp of butter or vegetable oil. Ladle the pancake batter onto the griddle to the desired size, usually about 5 or 6 inches wide. When air bubbles start to bubble up to the surface at the center of the pancakes (about 2-3 minutes), use a flat spatula to flip them over. After a minute, peak under one for doneness. When golden or darker golden brown, they are done. Note that cooking the second side takes only about half as long as the first side. And the second side doesn't brown as evenly as the first side. Serve immediately or keep warm in the oven until ready to serve.

Serves 4-6.

Serve with butter, maple syrup, and macerated strawberries. (We served with homemade stewed apples)

No comments: