February 1, 2010

The Most Delicious Tofu Ever...


I love tofu - I mean absolutely adore it - I could eat it as my primary source of protein every meal, every day.

The hubs, not quite a tofu fan, unless it's in Miso soup at our favorite sushi place.

So when he travels or is out, I like to make tofu.

I never used to be very creative with making tofu, I'd just dice and toss with veggies for a quick stir fry. But recently, I've been getting more creative - I've made BBQ tofu now, orange tofu, and now this incredible recipe.

I can't tell you enough good things about this recipe if you're a tofu eater. It's crispy, light and delicious. I did try two methods for cooking, one was to fry in a non stick skillet in about a tsp. of oil per batch. The other was to brown in a dry non stick pan. The oil option created the crispiest crust on the tofu and the best flavor. I ate it all week long - and to reheat it I just popped a serving in the oven on 350 for about 10 minutes to re-crisp and heat up.

I had this twice with pan fried noodles and one night with some pasta and marinara and cheese for a tofu parm. Both were delicious options.

I'd like to thank Mary Ann at Meet Me In the Kitchen for sharing the super recipe from Family Fun Magazine.... I did the marinade and everything and it was just the most perfect treat ever!!
I just didn't make the sauce for the tofu.

Any way you serve it up - if you are a tofu lover, this is a delicious recipe!

Read the full recipe at the link above - I just made the tofu.

Crispy Tofu
1 14 oz. package extra firm tofu
2 T soy sauce
1 tsp. lime juice
1 tsp sugar (I omitted this)
3/4 cup corn starch
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups panko
1/3 cup canola oil (I fried mine in batches in my only tiny non stick pan, so I only used 1 tsp. per batch - and I did 3 batches.)

1- Drain the tofu, then press it with paper towels to remove excess water. Cut into cubes. (I pressed my tofu for about 30 minutes first to get the moisture out.

2. Combine the soy sauce, lime juice, and sugar in a 8-inch square baking dish. Add the tofu cubes and turn them to coat all sides. Set the cubes aside to marinate for 30 minutes, turning them once halfway through. (I popped the marinade in a zip lock and tossed in the cubed tofu and just shook it around - i was too hungry to wait)

3. For dredging, make an assembly line of three small dishes: the first containing the cornstarch; the second, the egg; and the third, the panko. Toss each tofu cube lightly in each dish, in the order listed. Set the cubes aside on a plate until all are coated.

4. Line a baking sheet with paper towels and heat the oven to 200 degrees F. Heat a 10 to 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the oil, then the tofu cubes to the pan. Fry them on one side until golden and crisp, then continue cooking until all sides are golden, using tongs to turn them, about 6 minutes total. Transfer the cubes to the paper towel-lined baking sheet and place it in the oven to keep the tofu warm.

No comments: