February 28, 2010

If you eat a vegan meal on Fat Tuesday...


Can it really, truly be Fat Tuesday??

Because let me tell you, this recipe was so delicious and totally guilt free!

I found the recipe here, on fat free vegan,

I did make some alterations to her recipe so I'm posting it here as I made it so I have it for next time. My biggest issue was I cooked it in the crock pot, and when I got home from work, everything was cold and raw - my crock pot kicked the bucket. So, since the beans were at least tender after soaking all day, I was able to pop everything in the stock pot and simmer away on the stove for an hour and it was done.

Served with rice - easy, peasy, delicious!

Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice

2 cups dry red kidney beans
6 cups water
4 cloves of garlic
2 medium onions diced
4 ribs of celery
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. paprika
3/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. black pepper
14 oz. Gimmie Lean "sausage" crumbled (I tried browning in a skillet first and it just stuck like mad, so I put it in as is)
1/2 tsp. salt

Cooked Rice

Combine the ingredients in a crock pot and cover and cook on high for 5 hours. I tried to cook on low for 8 hours but again, it didn't happen so I finished it on the stove top.

Sever over rice.

No comments: