March 8, 2010

Cuban Rice and Beans

Beans and Rice is one of our favorite meals - but in our house it's either Mexican style or Indian style. Well I now have a great new way to make beans and rice and it is oh so delicious!

Thank you to my Blogger to my North - Beantown Baker for this most delicious recipe from her hubby. She has the most tasty blog - great baked goods - if you have a sweet tooth be sure to add her to your reader!

I did misread the directions a bit, but I was able to fix it.

We ate this tonight, and I forgot pictures - so hence, you get the recipe right away!

This meal was so quick and delicious. And like I said I did mess it up. I didn't realize the chickpeas get simmered in a separate pan, I couldn't figure out why I added liquid to the sofrito - so I ended up draining some liquid and boiling the rest off. Really, next time, I'll just drain and rinse the chickpeas and add to the sofrito instead of simmering.

I served over rice with some garlic sauteed swiss chard... such a great dinner!

Quick Rice and Beans
2 cans of garbanzo beans
1 onion, chopped
1-2 links of Chroizo in bite size pieces
4-6 cloves of garlic
2-3 bay leaves
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 pepper (I omitted)
olive oil

For the Sofrito: 2 T olive oil in a frying pan. Heat and add the garlic, cooking for a few seconds. Then add the onion and peppers and cook until just soft. Add the chorizo (I used ground chorizo from Sam's Club). Cook until the onions are soft and things are just orange.

*NOTE* This is where you simmer the chickpeas in a saucepan, but again, I would totally just add them drained and rinsed next time.** Add beans to saucepan and cover with some water and bring to a boil. Then you mix the sofrito and beans together and add the bay leaves and coriander.

Cover and boil for 20 minutes. Ensure that the water level stays above the beans.

Eat and enjoy!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Thanks for the awesome shout-out! Glad you enjoyed this recipe. It's def a staple in our house for nights neither of us are in the mood for an elaborate meal.