March 11, 2010

Creamy Ole Rice

Thank you to my friend Carrie in MN for this yummy recipe. I've had this in my google reader since September of last year and just made it the other week for the first time.

And again, no pictures- I'm lazy people, get over it!

We truly enjoyed it with, well with whatever it is we had with it - I can't even remember now.

But I'm really posting this recipe for Sour Cream Rice because I enjoyed the leftovers so much for lunches! Listen to what I did and don't ewwww at it yet.

I took a cup of cut up romaine and some grape tomatoes in one container. In another container I took a half cup of beans and 1/2 cup - 3/4 cup of this rice. I heated the rice and beans at the office and then popped on my salad for lunch and it was SO filling, hearty and tasty! No dressing, nothing else, beans, rice, lettuce and tomato - so good. So good infact I'm going to try and re-create the concept with a lean cuisine rice dish - I'm sure it won't be as good.

Thanks again Carrie - it was tasty good!

Mexican Sour Cream Rice
  • 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
  • 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
  • 1 cup reduced fat sour cream
  • 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chile peppers
  • 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
  • 1 (8.75 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste

In a large pot, bring the rice and chicken broth to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish.

In the pot with the cooked rice, mix the sour cream, green chile peppers, 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, corn, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish, and top with remaining cheese.

Bake uncovered 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.

**NOTE** to speed the process, I steamed my rice in the rice cooker in the AM while I was on the treadmill - Popped it in a tupperware before I left for work and then used that cold rice when I came home mixed with everything else. I did use reduce fat on the sour cream and cheese as well and still came out just fine.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

So glad you liked it, we loved it too. I need to make it again.