March 28, 2010

My First Foray in to Homemade Gravy


I've never made gravy from scratch before - shhhh... don't tell my mother, she'd be so disappointed in me.

For me, gravy is a food we seldom eat - so when I do use it, I open the jar or can of reduced fat or fat free gravy.

But for some odd reason, my brain said - find a recipe for homemade gravy!

And you know what - how have I not been making my own gravy all this time? It's so easy!!! And this recipe was so delicious!

I made a pork roast (just some salt, pepper, garlic, powder), a roast of butternut squash and fennel, mashed potatoes and the gravy. Talk about a great meal for a cold winters night (and yes, it was winter when I made this meal!)

Brown Mushroom Gravy
From the Woman's Day Cookbook

2 T Oil (I used olive)
1/4 cup flour
2 1/2 cups beef broth (I just used one can and added 1/4 cup water to get the full amount)
1/2 cup dry white wine or water (I used sherry)
12 oz. white mushrooms cleaned and sliced thin
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk 2-4 minutes until dark and golden.

Slowly whisk in the broth and wine. Then add the remaining ingredients. Reduce the heat and cook for 10-15 minutes until slightly thickened and the mushrooms are tender.

I think I can easily turn this in to a chicken or turkey gravy using chicken stock and white wine - easily! Maybe a little sage in it for Thanksgiving with the turkey instead of rosemary!

No comments: