May 11, 2010

How many ways can you think of to eat meatballs?


Tucked away in our chest freezer I always have a bag of meatballs from Sam's Club. I know, all of my true Italian friends are about to kill me for saying that, but tough - I'm a busy woman, I have no time or patience for shaping my own meatballs and frying or baking them up.

For us, meatballs are a meal that are meant for a busy night, hence the poly bag.

We got in a rut for a while of just doing spaghetti and meatballs. Then it became Swedish Meatballs. And I'm happy to say there is a new contender to the meatball mix in this household. Asian Flair!!!

Thank you to Slimming Eats for this fantastic recipe. Now I will admit, I really just used the concept of her sauce for the recipe - but the idea - all theirs! The full recipe is at that link - but here's what we did.

Seriously, how have we never eaten meatballs like this before!

Meatballs with Asian BBQ Sauce (how I made them using frozen poly-bag meatballs for all you quick and easy cooks like me!)

Rice - cooked and prepared however you prepare rice - white or brown, doesn't matter

Place enough frozen meatballs for your family in a mid sized pot with higher sides.

For the sauce (for approx. 14 meatballs for Slimming Eats - we made like 12 and it was still plenty of sauce!)

1 tablespoon of hoi sin sauce

1 teaspoon of honey

3 tablespoons of soy sauce

2 tablespoons of rice vinegar

1 tablespoon of fish sauce

1 teaspoon of sweetener - we just used sugar

1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger

1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon of Chinese five spice


Now I also added - well the hubs added since he made dinner as I was in transit from work after reading him the recipe over the phone from the car - about 3 T water just to keep things from sticking too much and to give us a little more steam to defrost the meatballs fully.

We served over rice and topped with green onions and served with some sugar snap peas - which were equally delicious with some of the additional sauce.

No comments: