July 11, 2010

I can not even begin to tell you


Just how incredibly delicious this meal is. I mean, WOW.

Do you ever read a recipe on a website or blog and think "WOW this is really daunting but it looks so good!!"? I do that a lot and sometimes end up passing things up because, really, I just don't have the time.

But this recipe from The Food in My Beard, I could NOT pass up. I made everything as is. I took the time to marinade the meat with the herbs, make the bbq sauce, the slaw, everything. I did cheat and use store bought naan though and it as more than fine. The only thing I'd change is to use plain yogurt in the slaw mixture because the hubs didn't like the Greek yogurt in it. he found it too bitter. I will admit, there were some of the spices that I didn't have and I omitted those - so I'll indicate that here. But the link above is the recipe as is.

Really, don't be intimidated, it's delicious - make it make it make it!!!



Indian BBQ Brisket with Raita

Marinade
2 tablespoons mexican chile powder - I used regular chili powder
2 tablespoons ancho chile powder - I used more regular chili powder
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
1 tablespoon pepper
1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds
1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
2 teaspoons black mustard seed - I didn't have any so I just used some dijon mustard
2 teaspoons oregano
2 teaspoons cayenne
seeds from 10 cardemom pods - surprisingly, I did have this!!
5 allspice berries - I just used a couple teaspoons of allspice
5 cloves
teaspoon fenugreek seeds - Um yeah, I didn't have this. I just omitted and didn't replace with anything.
1 medium onion
5 cloves garlic
1/4 cup worcestershire
1/4 cup apple vinegar


Toast whole spices on the stovetop, then food process. Add the rest of the dry spices and process some more. Add the garlic, onion, worcestershire, and vinegar and process until smooth. Take a 4 lb brisket peice and make some holes in it with a skewer. Put it in a large zip lock and pour in the marinade. Yum. Marinate this for at least 24 hours, 48 would be better. ***NOTE - I did this in my mini chopper and it stained the plastic horribly. So either use a special herb grinder or just wash it out really well when done. After about 3 washings the red color faded off the mini chopper.***

BBQ Sauce - made this all as is.
1/2 stick butter
1 red onion
salt
3 cloves garlic
square inch of ginger
1 and a half large cans whole tomatoes (or 3 small ones, or one large and one small)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup mustard
1/4 cup molasses
tablespoon honey

Saute the onion in butter for about 15 minutes. Add some salt at one point. Next garlic and ginger. Now add the rest of the ingredients. Next take your brisket out of the marinade, reserving as much of the marinade as possible. Dump that marinade into your bubbling BBQ sauce. At this point, the smell is going to blow you away and you will want to taste it really bad, but don't! It is full of raw brisket juice. Simmer this violently for about 15 minutes. Pour it into your slow cooker on high and blend it with a stick blender, now you can take a small taste if you want and adjust seasonings as needed. You can also add a cup of water if it is too thick or intense, but it should be kind of intense. Sear the beef and add to the slow cooker, fully covered by the liquid. Cook for 6 hours. You can do this in a dutch oven if you want, but mine is on loan to a friend. If you do that, throw it in the oven with the cover ajar at 250 for 6 hours. *** I cooked mine in the slow cooker and it was great!***

Raita-Coleslaw
half a small cabbage - I just used a bag of coleslaw mix
3 large carrots - omitted since I used the coleslaw mix
2 medium cucumbers
bunch of scallions
handful of dill
handful of cilantro
2 cloves garlic
about 2 cups of yogurt - Again I'd use plain next time and not plain Greek
salt and pepper

Use the shredder attatchment on the food processor for the cabbage, cuke, and carrots. Take a paper towel or cheesecloth and squeeze out some moisture from this. Chop up the scallions, dill, and cilantro and mix it in. Microplane the garlic in. Add 2 cups of yogurt that you strained the liquids from for about 2 hours. Or just buy Greek yogurt... either way. Add some salt and pepper and mix it all up. Let it sit in the fridge for an hour or two before serving.


THANK YOU FOOD IN MY BEARD - You rocked our bellies!!!

1 comment:

dan said...

Glad you liked it!!! It really is fantastic isn't it?