July 11, 2010

If you've got blueberries to use...


Give these a shot.

I made these a few weeks ago because I was in the mood to bake but didn't want to hassle with individual cookies or anything time consuming. I kind of pieced this recipe together but the end result was wonderful and I will most certainly make this again. Although next time I would double the crust recipe and use a smaller pan - 8x8 square - instead of a small oblong pan.

We'll call these Blueberry Cookie Bars

For the Crust

Combine 1 1/2 cups flour and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Cut in 1 1/2 sticks butter that's room temperature and has been cut in to pieces. Press firmly in to a sprayed pan to form a crust. Bake at 350 until lightly browned - about 15 minutes if you're using a 13x9 pan. I used the next size down and it took about 10 minutes. But again, next time I'd double this and use an 8x8.

For the Blueberry Mixture

I used about 2 cups of blueberries, mostly fresh and a handful of frozen to make up the difference. Add in 1/2 cup sugar and 3 T cornstarch. Place all of this in a saucepan and simmer until the blueberries break up and the mixture forms a nice thick jelly mixture. Pour this mixture on top of the crust and bake for another 20 or so minutes until the mixture sets up.

Let cool, and enjoy!

No comments: