October 3, 2010

Haluski

God Bless You!

I made this tonight to serve along with some pork schnitzel. Delish!!!

It really couldn't be easier - and it's filling and warm and comforting on a nice cool fall night.

Thank you to Vegan Dad for this recipe - I had something like it growing up and this really brought back memories and was nice to kind of eat my way down memory lane!

The recipe below is how I made it. But Vegan Dad's recipe is posted above.

Haluski
1 T olive oil
1 large sweet onion, halved and sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large carrot, finely grated
1 small head of cabbage, cored and sliced
2 tsp smoked paprika
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp butter
cooked egg noodles

METHOD
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium to med-hi heat. Saute onions for 5-7 mins, until soft and translucent. Add garlic, carrot, cabbage, and a few pinches of salt and mix well. Once sizzling, reduce heat to med-lo, cover, and cook for 10-15 mins, stirring regularly. You want the cabbage to be nice and tender, but not soggy. Add paprika and parsley, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from pan.
2. Add 2 tbsp of margarine to the pan over medium to med-hi heat. Add egg noodles and gently stir to coat. Fry for a few mins, then add cabbage mixture. Stir to mix, adjust seasoning and serve.

1 comment:

phasejumper said...

Found your blog from your comment on Laura's blog (I went to highschool with her). We love halushki at my house! I saw it once on Drive-ins, Diners and Dives and had to make it! So glad to see I'm not the only one that makes it!