October 7, 2010

Well oh my gosh, look, another Thai dish!

Go figure, right?
Cause who loves Thai???? WE LOVE THAI!!!

Again, another fantastic recipe from my favorite little Chicago Cook - Joelen. And I'm glad she made this because it's been something I've been nervous to try on the menu at a few of our favorite Thai restaurants. I was never quite sure what it would be like. And while I think the restaurant uses whole chicken pieces and not ground, and I know they put peppers in, I know flavor wise this is something of what I should expect.

But after making this, really, why bother going out?!

Quick, Easy, delicious! Serve with some rice or rice noodles and voila! Dinner in minutes!

Thai Basil Chicken - this is how Joelen made it, my changes are below - adapted from Cooks Illustrated.

2 cups basil leaves, packed and chopped or run through the food processor - I had leftover minced basil ice cubes in my freezer from last summer's garden, so I used those cubes up.
3 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon chili sauce
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar - usually I try to omit sugar in recipes, but this one needed it and it helped bolster the flavors - so add it!
1 tsp white vinegar - I used rice wine vinegar
1 lbs ground chicken/turkey
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped

In a small bowl mix the 1 tablespoon fish sauce, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, and vinegar. Stir and set aside.

In a skillet add the oil , the ground turkey and onion to start browning. Once it's close to done, add in the garlic and most of the basil. Then add in the sauce bowl. Cook about 1 min. Meanwhile, chiffonade the remaining basil leaves and add to the pan to cook 1 additional minute or so. Serve with rice or noodles!
YUMMY!

No comments: