January 18, 2011

MUST EAT TURKISH FOOD!!!


The Hubs and I got back from our great vacation and all I've been dying for is Egyptian, Moroccan, Turkish and Greek foods.

While in Turkey, the hubs and I had this incredible grilled eggplant salad and I immediately sought a replica recipe. I came across two great Turkish blogs, the first of which I'll highlight tonight - and I love both of them equally, and yes they both had the eggplant salad recipe I was seeking.

The first Turkish Food Blog called Hayriye's Turkish Food Blog is filled with some incredible recipes. If you like ethnic foods, you have to check this blog out!

I bookmarked a pile of the recipes on this blog and made the first one a few weeks ago - I loved it, the hubs, not so much. I think it was more the flavor he didn't like than the actually style of the dish.

I will certainly make this one again when he travels for work.

Meatballs in Sour Sauce
As posted on Hayriye's blog above - as I made it below.


Isn't that paprika on top so pretty!!

Meatballs - now instead of making the recipe for meatballs here, I used frozen meatballs. GASP I know. But it made it a great fast, meal on a weeknight and really it still tasted so good because all of the joy of this recipe is in that delicious broth of the soup with the sour lemon and the mint and egg.... YUM!

For the soup
1 cup yogurt - non fat plain
1 Tbsp flour, heaping
1 egg
5-6 cups cold water
½ lemon’s juice
1 Tbsp salt to taste
½ tsp dried mint
2+2 Tbsp canola oil
½ tsp paprika

Hot cooked rice

Place 2 Tbsp canola oil and flour in a pot. Then, sauté over medium heat till flour turns pinkish. Stir in cold water. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add meatballs and salt. Cover the lid halfway and cook for about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix yogurt, lemon juice and egg. Pour two ladles of hot soup into this mixture stirring constantly. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
In a small frying pan sizzle the remaining canola oil and stir in dried mint and paprika (I did this in a dry non stick pan and it worked fine - less oil!). Once you smell the nice combination of mint and paprika turn the heat off.
Drizzle the mixture over the soup and serve hot.

Now I served the soup with hot cooked rice in the bowls and it really made a hearty and lovely addition to the meal and I would recommend that to anyone.

No comments: