February 13, 2011

A Quick & Easy Weeknight Dinner


This meal could not be any easier. I mean 3o minutes start to finish is just perfect for a weeknight meal.

And this meal makes a TON of food, so be prepared to freeze some leftovers - they freeze wonderfully and reheat so well for lunches during the week at work.

I had some mini ravioli in my freezer that I was going to make my traditional tortellini and vegetable soup with - but then came across this recipe and figured I'd try something new. I did make some alterations to the recipe so I'll post it as I made it here.
Mini Ravioli and Meatball Soup
Adapted from Tasty Planner

1 T Olive Oil
1 lb. frozen meatballs - I used Ikea meatballs, you could use turkey, beef, whatever you have on had.
1 onion, chipped
3 cloves of garlic chopped
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
3 cans beef broth + 1 cup water (I added the extra water to add some extra broth since I added veggies and used more than 1 large package of ravioli)
2 cans Italian herb-flavored diced tomatoes with juice
1 pkg. fresh or frozen mini cheese ravioli
2 zucchini chopped in to half circles

In a large stock pot heat your oil and add your meatballs and brown them on all sides. Remove the meatballs and then add in some more oil and your onion, garlic and pepper. Then add in your zucchini to start to brown. Once things get tender and lightly browned, add in your broth, water and tomatoes and bring all of that to a boil. Add your meatballs back in and simmer for 10 minutes. Then add in your mini ravioli and simmer another 8-10 minutes, until the ravioli are cooked through and tender.

Serve with some bread and sprinkle with some Parmesan cheese!


No comments: